Sunday, April 10, 2016

Critical Reflection on Project Learning

My last lesson in interpersonal and workplace communications was a memorable one as that was the day where I presented for my project titled “Miscommunication within university project group". I learnt about the different types of miscommunication in this project. Misunderstanding was the only type of miscommunication that I knew before the project. I had learnt that there are three different types of miscommunication: Misunderstanding, Misinterpretation & No communication.

Presentation skills is something that can never be achieved overnight. It requires lots of practice, knowledge and experience. There are three areas that a presenter must focus on in order to give a good presentation based on the knowledge that I learnt in this course. Firstly, it is the knowledge on the topic that you will be presenting. Fully equipped with knowledge about on the presentation topic allows the presenter to be confident. Secondly, it is verbal delivery to your audience. Good verbal communication allows the presenter to deliver smoothly. Lastly, it is non-verbal communication during the presentation. Reduced body movement during presentation allows the audience to give the presenter full attention. I was given two opportunities to do presentation for this project. The first was a mock presentation while the other was the final presentation. After the mock presentation, I realized that I do not have sufficient knowledge on my topic, my delivery was not smooth and there was little eye contact with my audience as I rely on the screen too much during the presentation. With the aim of doing well for the final presentation, I came up with solutions to improve my presentation. Firstly, I had the intention to improve on my knowledge on the topic, prepare well for my presentation so my delivery will be smooth and having more eye contact with the audience. I restricted my movement to avoid distraction during presentation. During presentation review, I am very glad and thankful to be told that my objectives were met.

Conclusion could be made in this project that having good knowledge on the topic when presenting is very important. Good mental state, preparation done for smooth delivery, stop reliance on notes and having good eye contact with audience are the keys to a good presentation.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kok Zheng, for this clear, concise reflection. You contextualize your discussion of the presentation within the broader frame of your project topic and research focus. You then detail your experience with bits of the mock and formal presentation, focusing on how you had to add weight to your content in order to impress your audience. That you eventually did in quite a positive fashion, with your delivery, and organization of ideas all well done. We'll discuss this during our last session on Friday.

    Even though your focus in this post was indeed on the example I gave in the assignment paper, you've presented a coherent response. If you wanted to add more, I suggest unpacking some of your learning with regard to the content itself and the way that your group's topic fit into the fabric of the course learning at large.

    I appreciate the effort you made this term!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Kok Zheng,

    Even though i did not see your mock presentation, i was really impressed by your presentation skills during the actual presentation. You gave good non-verbal communication cues such as maintaining eye-contact and appropriate hand gestures. Also, your explanation of your part was clear and understandable. I was really engaged listening to you.

    There were parts of the video i did not fully understand but you managed to explain the video to us which made up for the lack of clarity. However, i do feel that was due to the subtitles failing to appear in the video. I feel that you are a fluent speaker and would like to learn from you.

    Thank you for the tips given!

    Regards,
    Hany Humaira

    ReplyDelete