Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Resolving Interpersonal Conflict

Interpersonal conflicts can be an outcome due to something trivial or serious. A conflict can occur due to a simple misunderstanding, if not handled carefully, it could lead to fights which results in casualties. Interpersonal conflicts are inevitable due to differing opinions and upbringing of every individual.

There was this interpersonal conflict incident which involved both my parents and myself as a third party. My mother and I were at home doing some administrative stuff and we did not have the time to go out for lunch. Thus, my father offered to buy take away for our lunch out of goodwill. When my father reached home, we were elated as we were famished. When my mother opened the take away box, her face grew sour. She asked my father"How do you expect me to eat? The rice are full of gravy! You know me for twenty plus years. Yet, you still don't know that I do not like to eat rice with gravy!". My father responded her like this"We have the luxury to have food to eat, so don't complain and just eat." My mother grew angry and disappointed at my father's response. She went to resume her administrative work and told me to finish up her share.

The main problem of this conflict was my mother did not like to eat rice that are filled with gravy. The take away that my father brought home was full of gravy. Thus, resulted in my mother's anger. My mother was disappointed at my father because after being married for twenty years, there might be possibility that my father still do not know her preferences.

If you were my father, what could be done to savage the situation?

5 comments:

  1. This is a clear, concise problem scenario, Kok Zheng. I look forward to see what your classmates can recommend.

    One correction: salvage, not savage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kok Zheng, if i was your father, i would have not responded to your mom by saying "We have the luxury to have food to eat, so don't complain and just eat." Instead, i would have replied that i have forgotten to check the food despite telling the food stall to separate the gravy and rice. In order words, i would have lied to prevent any pointless arguments or hurt your mom's feelings. Well, that is my take. But what's done is done. Perhaps your father could make it up to her by getting another packet of rice just for her or console her that at least there's some food to eat. I hope this comment is useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kok Zheng!
    I understand how your dad might be feeling underappreciated by your mother which led to his response "We have the luxury to have food to eat, so don't complain and just eat."
    However, if I was your father, i would choose the accommodating mode to salvage the situation after knowing how upset your mother really was which was evident when she told you to finish up her share. I would have apologise to your mum, admit i made a mistake and offer to call for food delivery.
    Hopefully, those actions would appease your mother.

    Regards,
    Hany Humaira

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kok Zheng,
    From the argument , I think that both your parents are in a competitive mode. I do agree to what Hany had said about your father feeling unappreciated. Because he could have asked you to go out and buy, called for fast food delivery or he could even do nothing about it. But out of goodwill he offered to help and what he got in return was a scolding from your mom which he did not deserve. Plus, I think because both you and your mom are starving that's why he was in a hurry to buy and delivery the food back that he had forgotten about your mom`s preferences.
    If I was in your father`s shoe, I would be more accommodating and apologise to her first, perhaps she would be compromising and not mind eating what she don't like for that once since she have not eaten. Otherwise, we would just go out for lunch outside together as a family.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete